CALL TO ARTISTS – BAINBRIDGE ISLAND STUDIO TOUR Summer 2023
Applications are now available for the 2023 Summer and Winter Studio Tours on Bainbridge Island. The Tours are scheduled for August 11th -13th, and December 1st – 3rd, and take place at various artists’ studios and community halls around the Island. This year marks the 23rd year for the summer event, and the 40th Anniversary for the winter event.
- Artists do not have to live on the island, or own a studio (see below for more information).
- The deadline for the Summer Tour application is May 15th, and for the Winter Tour application is August 23rd.
- Artists can apply for both events at this time, and early registration is recommended.
- There is an Early Bird option due March 31st. This is only available once a year.
Application forms, which can be submitted online on the “For Artists” page on the Studio Tour website: https://bistudiotour.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/2023-BI-Studio-Tour-Application-1-24-23.pdf. Applications can also be found at the Bainbridge Island Chamber of Commerce, or by contacting Dinah Satterwhite at 206-842-0504 or firstname.lastname@example.org
LOCAL ARTISTS – The Studio Tours are open to Bainbridge Island (BI) residents. Non-island resident participation is limited to artists living full time in Washington State within the boundaries of Kitsap County, Clallam County, eastern Jefferson County, the northern part of Mason County, and the northern part of Pierce County (Gig Harbor and the Key Peninsula). Exceptions include non-island artists who are grandfathered in and remain active in the Tour (see Bylaws on their website for complete details).
ORIGINAL WORK – As a juried venue of artwork, they look for professional work, designed and crafted by the artist, with original designs, and quality craftsmanship. Artwork that is mass-produced with the use of commercial kits or molds, pre-fabricated forms, or imported items are not eligible. See the Bylaws and Standing Rules for more detail.
ABOUT THE TOURS – Summer: The Summer Studio Tour is an outdoor art show held the second weekend in August. Local artists open their studios while other artists join them in garden settings with live music to create an inviting marketplace of fine art. Bainbridge Island and off-island visitors anticipate this enjoyable event, which has been held since 2001.
Winter: The Bainbridge Island “Winter Studio Tour & Sale” is the original Studio Tour and has been a mainstay since 1984. Held on the first weekend in December, it offers an opportunity to purchase fine arts and crafts for the holidays and is a well-established, well-attended tradition. The Winter Tour is held in both artists’ studios and community halls.
- Participating artists will assure that all work is original, displays excellent craftsmanship and portrays the hand and spirit of the artist. All work should be well-conceived and expertly executed and show the mark of the artist’s originality. Pieces that are 100% assembled from purchased material may be included if they meet this criteria.
- The artist must be closely and thoroughly involved with the design of each article. Each collaborating artist must have contributed to the design or production of each item.
- The artist must be closely and thoroughly involved with the production of each article with the exception of works of original design that require out of studio production (for example: reproduction of prints or greeting cards, or cast jewelry, all of which must be made from the artist’s original work).
- Only work similar to that approved by the jury can be exhibited and all work exhibited must be of the same quality as that accepted by the jury. A major change of media or style will require submission of the work to be juried. In the case where more than one medium is involved, all work must be re-juried at the same time to be sold in subsequent Tours.
- Categories that are not acceptable include commercial kits and commercially available plans.
- Artists must have a current Washington State business license (UBI) and City of Bainbridge Island endorsement
NEW Spotlight Page: Artists can offer an item for sale on our website during each Tour, on the new Spotlight Page. Sales are made directly by the artist, and no commission is collected.
If you’d like to read more articles from The Island Wanderer Blog website, click here, to subscribe to The Island Wanderer Blog, click here.
ADVERTISE WITH US! We offer exceptional rates and packages for advertisers, to learn more, contact us at Contact Us | THE ISLAND WANDERER