These regulations are intended to reduce waste in our environment and litter in the ocean, protect public health, and reduce our dependence on plastic.
COBI’s new regulations to reduce single-use waste effective on January 1, 2023 include:
- a 25-cent fee for disposable cups is required
- disposable plastic food service ware is prohibited
- reusable food service ware is required for on-site dining
- disposable food service ware is required to be home compostable*
- expanded polystyrene-based food service ware (all plastics #6 and Styrofoam) for prepared food is prohibited
- the distribution of single-use personal care products not packaged in “home compostable packaging” is prohibited in lodging establishments
- the use of refillable dispensers for personal care products is encouraged in lodging establishment
*NOTE: All businesses have been granted a 3-month grace period to use up their existing supplies of non-home compostable food and beverage packaging for to-go orders (through March 31, 2023).
In late December, COBI announced that the following products have been granted a temporary exemption through December 31, 2023, due to lack of availability:
- Plastic to-go beverage container lids (hot and cold)
- Bottled juice/beverage containers (made onsite)
- Plastic rotisserie dome containers
- Clear plastic lids for sandwich trays
- Clear plastic sushi tray lids
- Clear plastic salad containers
- Film cling (like Saran Wrap)
- Chocolate boxes and dividers
- Clear plastic cups for cold beverages
- Small paper pastry bags
- Clear plastic confection bags
- Plastic bags for transporting soups and other hot/wet foods and liquids (i.e., placing plastic bags around home compostable soup containers for transport)
- Clear plastic lids for portion cups (please note that home compostable options are available if you do not need a clear lid)
For additional details, visit the Bainbridge Island Chamber of Commerce website Waste Reduction Page: Waste Reduction Ordinance 2023 – Bainbridge Island Chamber of Commerce (bainbridgechamber.com)
- Ace Hardware
- Carly’s Rolling Bay Cafe
- Coquette Bake Shop
- Dana’s Showhouse
- Eagle Harbor Books Co.
- Marketplace at Pleasant Beach Village
- Pegasus Coffee House
Support Bainbridge businesses and avoid the 25-cent fee for using disposable cups. If your business offers reusable cups and would like to be included on the Chamber’s list, please email them at: email@example.com
A small, family-run e-commerce business, Green Paper Products, is offering free shipping for orders over $89 and 10% off orders with promo code WINSLOW.
Click here for a list of COBI approved products, pricing and specifications and free samples.
*Information and images provided by the Bainbridge Island Chamber of Commerce
ADVERTISE WITH US! We offer exceptional rates and packages for advertisers, to learn more, contact us at Contact Us | THE ISLAND WANDERER