The 7th annual (except for 2020) Bainbridge Island ReFashion Show (previously known as the “Trashion Show”) will take place on Sunday, May 21, 2023 from 1:00-4:00 PM at IslandWood on Bainbridge Island.
The Bainbridge Island ReFashion Show is an entertaining fashion show, co-sponsored by Bainbridge Island Zero Waste and ReFashion Bainbridge, both initiatives of Sustainable Bainbridge. The Show focuses on upcycling and reusing textiles to encourage changes in human behavior that lead to the sustainable use of our world’s resources.
It all begins at 1:00pm on the trails! As you meander along, you’ll come across local designers and models of all ages, wearing the marvelously creative outfits spanning from functional to fun. This year, they anticipate more than 30 artists will participate in the show. In addition, IslandWood’s trails, treehouses, play field and meadows will be open throughout the afternoon.
As you enjoy the natural habitat and different ecosystems such as forest, glade, ravine, marsh and even a freshwater pond, you’ll be able to stop and visit with the artists to learn more about their designs and inspiration. At 3:15pm, the models will participate in a traditional runway show in IslandWood’s Great Hall where prizes will also be awarded. (The runway show is a separate ticket option; see below for details).
- 1:00 PM – Doors open and check-in begins in IslandWood’s Welcome Center
- 1:00 – 3:00 PM – Trails open and both artists and models are in select locations as you walk the trails
- 3:00 PM – Models exit the trails in preparation for the Runway Show
- 3:15 – 4:00 PM – “Rock the Runway Show” in the Great Hall (This requires a separate ticket, simply add on to your “Trails & Trashion” ticket with the “Runway Show” ticket – links are shown below.) The Great Hall has attendance limits, so grab your ticket early to secure your seat!
“We hope you join us to get inspired for how to re-use old clothing and make new outfits from old clothing or reclaimed materials. Tablecloths are transformed into evening gowns, kitchen curtains become ruffles, and beaded vests are adorned with discarded corks… our ‘runway’ is one of a kind!” – IslandWood
- Mystery Box (a box of pre-loved textiles and other goodies to make something fabulous!)
- Upcycled Ready-to-Wear
- …and a new category… Connections!
Other optional activities for attendees:
- Audience Award – Ticketholders can fill out a ballot for their favorite design!
- A bag and purse swap – Bring one fully functional bag or purse in good condition and take a new-to-you one home!
- A sneaker donation fundraiser – only athletic footwear, any condition, with laces tied together; no dress shoes, heels, rain boots, sandals, slip-ons, water socks, wedges, and work boots of any kind.
There is always something new to see each season at IslandWood!
- All ages welcome!
- Bring a picnic if you like, pack it in – pack it out. Leave No Trace principles apply.
- Please no dogs unless they are a service animal, thank you.
- Some of the trails accommodate strollers and wheelchairs, for more information please ask the Greeters for the best routes to accommodate your party size and abilities upon arrival.
- Your health and safety, as well as that of our staff, is their first priority. Wearing a mask is optional.
2023 ReFashion Sponsors
Winners’ outfits will be displayed in the Bainbridge Arts and Crafts store window during the month of July and will have the option to be offered for sale.
Tickets are $10-$25 for adults and $5 for students. To purchase tickets, visit: FASHION IN THE FOREST – IslandWood
A little history: In 2005, a group of islanders got together to discuss the needs of sustainability on Bainbridge Island, and in 2006 Sustainable Bainbridge was formed. Their goals ranged from preserving our delicate environment, waterways and shorelines to engaging the community, businesses and local government in creating economic and social programs that will make Bainbridge Island a healthy and sustainable environment for everyone to enjoy.
Sustainable Bainbridge has since created a variety of programs and initiatives, ranging from exploration and monitoring of our beaches and near-shore areas with trained naturalists, creating a lighter footprint by supporting and sustaining our pedestrian walking paths, trails, sidewalks, and bike paths, eradicating noxious and invasive weeds, such as the Scotch Broom plant, promoting local food use and much, much more (click here for more details on these programs).
Bainbridge Island Zero Waste is a program that encourages the reduction of waste produced by our community through recycling, composting, disposal of special recyclables (Styrofoam, CDs, plastic film, etc.) and the community re-use of items you no longer want or need.
Refashion Bainbridge was born out of the increased need to educate the public on the environmental impact of clothing choices through workshops, fashion shows, conferences and web resources. In addition to The Bainbridge Island ReFashion Show, they sponsor a variety of events throughout the year, such as this year’s Clothing Swap in March.
For more information about this year’s show and past shows, visit their website: ReFashion Show – REFASHIONBAINBRIDGE
*Images and information provided by ReFashion Bainbridge
ADVERTISE WITH US! We offer exceptional rates and packages for advertisers, to learn more, contact us at Contact Us | THE ISLAND WANDERER