Many people probably associate the words “senior center” as a place for an exclusive group, 55 years of age or older, and while that is true in most cases, here on BI, it is so much more! The Bainbridge Island Senior/Community Center (BISCC) is a “community center” and they collaborate with many other entities here on the island to provide an assortment of programs for all ages—those programs, activities and events are available to everyone, however they encourage membership, as membership dues are only $20.00 per year, and greatly assist the center in its day-to-day operations, click here to join.
One of their more recent member benefits is Fob Friday. As a member of the BISCC, you’ll receive a fob, which gives you a 10% discount on Fridays at more than 25 shops and businesses on the island (see below for a list of current participating businesses).
As a member of the BISCC you also receive their bi-monthly newsletter (Splash!), which showcases member-only parties and events, and well as list of upcoming activities.
Although Covid restrictions have curtailed many of the in-person activities the BISCC has offered in the past, classes and events are slowly returning. Currently, the center is offering an assortment of in-person exercise programs, games, and line dancing. Online activities include several foreign language classes, writing classes, the Waterfront Book Group, and much more. To peruse their current in-person and online activities, click here.
Pre-Covid, the BISCC and its partners provided a variety of programs, which they hope to resume in the near future. Some of those programs included the BI Historical Museum presentations of Early Bainbridge, a live discussion given by long-time islanders about life on the island during the early and mid-twentieth century; educational programs provided by Bainbridge Island Arts & Crafts; the Waterfront Book Group is sponsored by the BI Library; technology tutoring provided by Bainbridge Youth Service volunteers; coffee and chats with BI Police Community Resources Officer, as well as forums and discussions with elected officials and school representatives.
In addition to providing educational and active enrichment for our community, BISCC is focused on assisting those that cannot necessarily do everything for themselves and they are honored to work with Island Volunteer Caregivers, Helpline House, and Meals on Wheels-Kitsap, to provide resources such as information on medical care, insurance and Medicare questions, internet safety, meal delivery, veterans’ assistance, mental and grief support, home-related assistance, and transportation to doctors, shopping, and social activities. In addition, they have an in-house Resource Navigator available to discuss and assist with your needs. The Senior Center also worked with Bainbridge Prepares as a vaccine distribution center.
BISCC also has a thrift shop at the center, Waterfront Thrift, which offers a fun and eclectic variety of men’s and women’s clothing, as well as vintage and current household items. They also host a book exchange on Tuesdays from 10am to 1pm and a jigsaw puzzle exchange on Thursdays from 10am to noon. Donations are greatly appreciated; however please note they cannot accept large furniture items. Waterfront Thrift is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 10am to 1pm.
Fob Friday Participating Businesses:
- Bainbridge Arts & Crafts 151 Winslow Way E
- Bainbridge Island Community Pharmacy 124 Winslow Way (Winslow Green)
- The Berry Patch 104 Winslow Way W Ste 103 (Winslow Green)
- I. Barkery 278 Winslow Way E #107
- Bon Bon Candies 230 Winslow Way E
- Conservatory Coastal Home 150 Winslow Way
- Covet 278 Winslow Way E
- Dana’s Show House 194 Winslow Way E
- Eagle Harbor Books 157 Winslow Way E
- Esther’s Fabrics 181 Winslow Way E, Suite D
- Elle’s Island Spectacles 1176 Ferncliff Ave NE
- Fairy Tale Dentist 115 Hall Brothers Loop NW #105
- Harbor Square Wine Shop 756 Winslow Way E
- L’Atelier TR Restaurant 8893 Three Tree Lane NE #7
- Lollipops (Not valid on sale or consignment items) 278 Winslow Way E #101
- Millstream 122 Winslow Way E Plum 124 Winslow Way E – they offer members the 10% discount 7 days a week
- Pretty Stick (online only) https://www.prettystickbeauty.com/
- Rolling Clay Studio – Jane Schupay (clay artist) 11236 Sunrise Dr. NE (Corner of Valley Rd)
- Salt House 119 Winslow Way E
- Shirvan Rug Gallery 256 Winslow Way E
- Skookum Clothing 126 Winslow Way W (Winslow Green)
- Sweet Dahlia Baking, LLC (Thurs & Fri Dinner Club) 9720 Coppertop Loop, #103
- Waterfront Thrift at Senior Center 370 Brien Drive SE
- Whimsy 275 High School Rd NE
- Wildernest 310 Winslow Way E
- Willowtree Market (Not valid with points program) 169 Winslow Way E
- Z Bones 146 Winslow Way W (Winslow Green)
If you’re interested in being a Fob Friday participating business, contact Karen King at (206) 276-6948.
*Images and logos used with permission from the BISCC